Friday, September 28, 2007

Wow, that was a great epi--------NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

That pretty much sums up my reactions to the closing moments of the mostly-enjoyable Grey's Anatomy season premiere last night. I'm sure most of you can guess what caused my outburst of disbelief and disgust, but for those of you that have been living under a rock, I'm referring to George's declaration of love for Izzie, which still makes absolutely no sense to me. None. But I'll get to that later.

The episode opened with the new residents giving their interns the same speech that Bailey gave them in the pilot. I'm sucker for self-references, so I was immediately pleased by this acknowledgemnt of Grey's happier, funnier, less-filled-wth-relationships-that-make-no-sense past. It seems to be almost everyone in the hospital's first day on the job, b/c apparently all of the new residents took extended vacations after the end of last season's events, although I think I would need a vacation too to get all of those crappy plotlines out of my head. Again, I digress. Apparently, Meredith went with Cristina on her honeymoon and has not spoken to Derek since the wedding. Alex took a road trip and grew beard. Izzie did not speak to George (which IS A GOOD THING, can you hear me writing staff? GOOD THING). George spent most of the time being mad that he was going to be an intern, again. As for Bailey, she was A-N-G-R-Y at the Cheif for passing her over for chief resident. One can only hope that this anger means that the Nazi will be making a return this season, because Bailey is so much better when she's abrupt and cool. And Burke? He resigned two weeks ago (I understand this was a necessary given that Isaiah Washington got booted, but it still seems contrived).

The new residents first day was spent dealing with the aftermath of a car crash caused by a deer and each person got a case that mirrored their current situation and helped them get to some important realization about their current situation in life, blah, blah, blah, we see this every week so I'm not going into it here (Check out TWOP or zap2it if you want a better plot recap). I will address Izzie trying to resuscitate the deer, because I'm really convinced that's she just bat-shit crazy (a term coined by one of my friends in college that I try to work in whenever I can). To be fair, I've been calling Izzie crazy since she cut the LVAD wire at the end of season 2 (when ever discussing her character I refer to her as CI--Crazy Izzie), but all of this stuff with George and her insisting on saving the deer is just getting to be too much. I did like her little speech to her interns at the end, though. But seriously a deer? And then telling George she's Bambi? Come on, Shonda, you can do better.

Moving on, I really, really like Chyler Leigh as Meredith's sister Lexie. She reminds me a lot of the way Meredith used to be in season 1--rambly, a bit nervous, but ultimately self confident, and very, very cute. As George said, she "is kind of awesome." I can understand Meredith wanting to not get involved with her given her past history with her father's family, but I do think if anyone could understand her, it's Lexie. I'm interested to see where this goes.

Other things I liked:
  • George delivering the baby like a pro. It's too bad that the other interns will eventually have to find out he's repeating his intern year, b/c I like that they think he's awesome one.
  • Cristina and Alex commiserating over their loneliness. They've come a long way from "Evil Spawn."
  • Meredith and Derek breaking-up then hooking up. It seems like they're going to start from scratch this time, sleeping together then getting personal. Hey, if it worked for them before, it could work again now.
  • Bailey making it rough for Callie. I like Callie, I do, but Bailey deserved to be chief resident. "Better luck tomorrow." Hehe. Old Bailey is BACK!.
  • Sloan telling Derek he came to Seattle to win him back. Gotta a love a little bit of man-love.

Now for what I hope will become a weekly feature: Sage Wisdom from People with Dysfunctional Lives--This one comes from Meredith, who is trying to console the single pregnant woman with one arm: "Much better to be alone and be a success than be in a relationship and feel like a failure all the time."

Ok, now for the thing I and I'm sure all of you hated the most: George's confession of love to Izzie. Why? WHY? WHY?!!! Everyone I've spoken to and everything I've read indicates that NO ONE LIKES THIS STORYLINE. IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE. HE'S MARRIED TO CALLIE. The previews for next week make it seem like George is going to run and get a divorce no so that he and Izzie can be together. Ugh. I mean, I know that sometimes people who are friends can develop feelings for each other that they didn't expect, but come on, we kind of already saw this with Derek and Meredith and it's more enjoyable when its with characters you know belong together as opposed to characters are being thrown together because the writers seem to either have run out of ideas (which the rest of this episode indicates that they have not) or have started taking mind-altering drugs so that they now live in world where this seems like a good idea. Which it is obviously not.

Ok all, that's it for this week. I'm excited to see where the show goes this season (except for the George/Izzie storyline). What do you think?