Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Office: Recession Comes to Scranton

Haven't you heard? Oh, I was under the impression that everyone had heard. About the recession. You know, the one where people losing their jobs. And houses. And retirement funds. The one that they watch TV to escape. Yeah, that one. Well, apparently the damn thing has been going on so long that TV can no longer stay immune. The recession has come to Dunder Mifflin, and no one is safe, least of all productive work.

So apparently, Dunder Mifflin may or may not be filing for bankruptcy. Michael's response? Play a murder mystery dinner party game. Yeah. Now, the thing is, having worked at a company that went through significant layoffs earlier this year, I think I would have enjoyed doing something so frivolous and inappropriate to take my mind off of what was going. So although Michael is the most bizarre man to ever run an office, I think he's on to something here.

The other upside to this murder mystery was everyone talking in ridiculous Southern accents. I love a good Southern accent, especially from Pam. And Erin.

Speaking of Erin, SHE LIKES ANDY BACK! Oh it was so sad when Andy said he wasn't serious about asking her out because he thought she wasn't serious, because she was indeed serious! I think these two might make the perfect couple. She sweet, nice, and just quirky enough for him. Also, I think I'm going to be a big fan of Ellie Kemper, the actress that plays Erin. Her one-on-one with the camera where she told them she was actually really excited about going out with Andy was very, very good.

I kind of torn when it comes to deciding what the best scene in the episode was: Dwight punching himself in the balls, or Jim and Pam having a very real conversation about what would happen if they both lost their jobs. Yeah, it's definitely Dwight punching himself in the balls.

All in all, I really enjoyed tonight's episode, although I can't fathom what would actually happen if Dunder Mifflin were to liquidate or shut down.