Tuesday, November 3, 2009

V Premiere: We Are Of Peace....And Universal Healthcare

Just finished the V premiere, and I will tell you immediately, I really liked it and I think it has a lot of potential. I didn't take notes, so this post will be mostly just my high level impressions. First one:

Are the Visitors supposed to be some symbol of Obama? Let me say up front that I am a Democrat through and through, so I'm an Obama fan. Ok, now I watched this episode with roommate, and right about the time that Anna, the head visitor, was giving her press conference, my roommate said, "Huh, they're like Obama," mostly because of their message of peace and love and all that. Skip to later in the episode when Anna is giving her first big interview to Chad (Scott Wolf). One of the first things she talks about? Opening Visitor's healing centers all over the planet, i.e., universal healthcare. I swear, I about fell out of my chair. This show is TOPICAL, to say the least. Seriously, universal healthcare in the premiere? I wouldn't be surprised if the Vs have some death panels up their sleeves later on. But seriously, are the creators secret Sarah Palin fans? Am I just imagining this or did anyone else think this too?

I still love Elizabeth Mitchell. I like that she's starting out as the hero this time around, I like that her character, Erica, is an FBI agent, but damn I wish she was going to have a big role on LOST this season.

Morena Baccarin is the sexiest alien since Jeri Ryan as Seven of Nine. And here is where I'm showing just how geeky I am, since that was a Star Trek: Voyager reference. But seriously, Anna could have easily become a wooden, ice queen character in the hands of a lesser actress, but Baccarin gives her some subtlety and intensity which makes her just fascinating to watch.

Who else thinks Erica and the priest will eventually get it on? I do.

I'm kind of hoping the show stays good/gets better, although I will say I'm not a fan of this 4 episodes now, the rest of the episodes later airing pattern. Hopefully the ratings will be huge and ABC will reconsider.