Tuesday, October 16, 2007

First Impression: Samantha Who?

Ok, so I decided to eat lunch at my desk today and I realized that I forgot to record the premiere of Samantha Who? (Mondays, 9 p.m., ABC). I had twenty minutes to kill, so I gave it go. Boy did I like what I saw. First off, the show made me manage to forget where I was and what was going on around me, which means it automatically gets a second viewing. (I've told you before how much I like shows that do that.) Second, I'm surprised that it took so long to get Christina Applegate back on to a sitcom. We all saw Anchorman, right? Girl's got game, and by game I mean great comedic timing. (If you'd like an example, watch the scene of her in the AA meeting. That's priceless.) Third, the supporting cast has an awesome pedigree: Jean Smart, recently from 24, plays her mother and Kevin Dunn, who's been a guest on a lot of shows I can't think of right now, plays her dad. Melissa McCarthy, Sookie from Gilmore Girls, plays her childhood best-friend who now wants to reconnect (cough...stalker....cough.....gonna be funny....cough). Barry Watson (7th Heaven, What About Brian?.....I think he likes appearing in shows with interrogative words in the title) is the boyfriend and Jennifer Esposito, who for a minute I thought was that girl from Dirty, Sexy, Money, but isn't, plays the actual bitchy best-friend. I think their's a lot of comedic gold to be mined from her finding out about her past (she wasn't exactly an angel) and the show seems well written on first-watch. Given my allegiance to Heroes, I'll be recording this for now, but its something I would definitely watch immediately afterwards.