Friday, October 5, 2007

Sour Lemon

I've been waiting for this since I first discovered 30 Rock over the summer. I think the show is amazing and wonderful and perfect and......can I add anymore platitudes? Probably. I knew 30 Rock was the comedy I had secretly been searching for when I heard Kenneth the Page say this:

"Do you know why I put up with this pitiful job, Mr. Donaghy? Why I fetch these folks lunches and clean up their barfs? Because they make television. More than jazz or musical theatre or morbid obesity, television is the true American art form. Think of all the shared experiences television has provided for us; from the moon landing to the Golden Girls finale; from Walter Cronkite denouncing Vietnam to Oprah putting that trash bag of fat in the wagon; from the glory and the pageantry of the Summer Olympics to the less fun Winter Olympics. So please, don't tell me I don't have a dream, sir. I'm living my dream."

Yep, love at first watch. I think 30 Rock completely deserved its Emmy win and I can only hope that it will bring more viewers to the show.

Now let's get to the premiere. I thought it was ok, but I didn't completely love it. I think the stunt-casting of Jerry Seinfeld was a bit too much. He seemed a bit rusty, but his argument with Jack at the end was worth it. I think it does take some time to get back into a groove after a summer hiatus, and I know this show will.

Things I loved:
  • Liz talking to Seinfeld and then crying in a Seinfeld-like voice. "This is what I sound like when I cry!" Hehe, awesome.
  • Jack trying to knock Seinfeld over the head with the statue.
  • Cerie's reaction to Liz and Jenna agreeing to be bridesmaids: "Now I have my something old."
  • The secret European country only rich people know about.
  • Tracy asking Kenneth to be his "work wife" then getting jealous that Kenneth is enamored with Seinfeld. I think Tracy definitely falls into the "bat-shit crazy" character category (at least he's in good company. Katherine Heigl won an Emmy for being bat-shit crazy on a weekly basis).
  • Tracy ministering to tranny hookers by trying to get them to go to computer school. See bat-shit crazy reference above.

Ok, maybe I liked it more than I thought. My favorite shows have a way of doing that to me. And this one will definitely have me smitten for a long time to come.