Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Impending Trainwreck--Avert Your Eyes

I've been watching a lot of the Olympics, and I love it. The competition, the pageantry, the blatant overdramatization of the athletes' backstories by NBC--it's all wonderful. Except for one thing: NBC insists on running the same 3 or 4 commercials to promote their fall shows. For the most part, they're fine. I love being reminded that The Office comes back September 25th and that new Christian Slater show doesn't look too too awful; however, if I see one more commercial for Kath & Kim, I may gouge my eyes out.

This show looks AWFUL. I mean A-W-F-U-L. The commercials, they're just not funny. Molly Shannon looks ridiculous in that orange wig, and I saw Selma Blair play an impetuous flighty teen 10 years ago in Cruel Intentions, and quite frankly she did a much better job then than she seems to do now. I get that the show is based on a successful Australian comedy (which actually is pretty funny--check out YouTube to seem some clips), but I don't think it's going to translate well. I think NBC must really be regretting greenlighting this show without a pilot, and I'd bet America will too once it airs. Maybe I'm wrong, but my gut is telling me that I'm right. I think NBC may be in some serious trouble here, b/c that Knight Rider show also looks like it will crash and burn (no pun intended). The sad thing is Molly Shannon deserves better: she was wonderful on SNL, and even on Will & Grace. They could certainly find something better for her (perhaps a spot on that new show from the creators of The Office) and I'm sure they could find something better for us.

You can see a clip here, but don't say I didn't warn you.