Thursday, September 17, 2009

Emmy Breakdown: Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series, or Battle of the AMC Stars

Good morning, good morning, everyone. Another day, another Emmy race I'm having difficulty calling. Let's take a look at the nominees shall we?
  • Simon Baker as Patrick Jane, The Mentalist
  • Gabriel Byrne as Dr. Paul Weston, In Treatment
  • Bryan Cranston as Walt White, Breaking Bad
  • Michael C. Hall as Dexter Morgan, Dexter
  • Jon Hamm as Don Draper, Mad Men
  • Hugh Laurie as Dr. Gregory House, House
This is the fourth nomination for Laurie, the first nomination for Baker, and the second for the rest, making this essentially the exact same race from last year. I'm unfamiliar with In Treatment and Breaking Bad, which is my bad because I've heard both shows are wonderful. I've only just started watching Dexter (I'm midway through Season 1), but I think the show is fantastic, so I can only hope that quality has stayed up through its third season. Baker's nomination is the most surprising to me: while I like The Mentalist quite a bit (as do most folks--it was the highest rated new show last year), Baker's performance is a little slick for my taste, although I'm guessing the character's backstory is what got him here. Laurie is a perpetual nominee, and his "I'm going crazy" storyline last year might be enough to push him over the edge, but I'm doubtful. As for Hamm, I thought he was a lock last year given the critical swoons for Mad Men, but I was wrong then, so I may be wrong now. He deserves it, though. Two and half seasons in and I still think Don Draper is completely inscrutable, which is the thing that keeps me coming back week after week. (Well, that and Peggy.) So....

Who Should Win: Jon Hamm
Who Will Win: Damned if I know, but I'm guessing Hamm

Check back this evening for a recap of tonight's The Office premiere.