Saturday, September 20, 2008

Bye, Bye, Childhood

MTV announced this week that, after ten years on the air, they will pull the plug on TRL this November. This makes me sad, not because I still watch TRL, but because I associate TRL very closely with my younger years. I can still remember the first time I watched it. It was the summer of 1998 (I think) and I was volunteering at a summer day camp with a bunch of my friends from school (because we all needed community service credit before confirmation). A bunch of them were talking about some show called Total Request on MTV, and I pretended that I watched it as well. Not wanting to feel left out, I went home that afternoon and immediately put it on. I can still remember the first video I saw: Aaliyah's "Are You You That Somebody?" (everytime I hear the song I still think of TRL and that summer). Over the next four or five years, I probably watched it at least 3 times week (usually during the times it was on at 5:00, because then I could watch it after practice). TRL exposed me to a lot of music I'd never heard before and it gave me Britney Spears (something for which I will be forever grateful). I always liked Carson Daly as host, and I even liked the people that succeeded him, but I haven't watched TRL since I went away to college, and I'm guessing that the younger generation that should have taken up the TRL mantle has turned to YouTube for their music videos instead. I understand that just like everything else on TV, TRL too has reached its end, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.