Monday, September 29, 2008

My Brain Cannot Process This Awesomeness Any Longer

Mondays have officially become my favorite night of the week. I'm taking this awesome French class, and Heroes and HIMYM are back. But most importantly, there's GG. And more importantly than that, there's New Serena. My life would be empty without New Serena. She's amazing. She's so much more assertive than Old Serena (like when she was asking Blair why she hadn't returned her calls). She's also more confident (like when she tells Blair she's going to go and sit in the front row of the show). And--and I don't even know how this is possible--she's more beautiful. Maybe it's because she doesn't slouch as much. Maybe it's because I'm just naturally attracted to bitchy girls (hence my enduring love for Blair, who was a bit hysterical this week). Whatever it is, I'm getting it from New Serena and I'm sooooo happy.

Even better, New Serena seems to be rubbing off on those around her. Little J has decided to go after what she wants--becoming a designer--and is willing to drop out of school to make it happen. It's definitely a risky move, but the girl seems to have some talent, so why not? (Plus this is fiction, not fact, so I'm fine with the lack of emphasis on education.) Also, I thought it was awesome when Little J said she looked up to Blair because Blair had worked for everything she had accomplished. I think I smell a detente brewing. And Blair could certainly use some friends, since New Serena has decided she will no longer put up with Blair's crap. I can't wait for the catfight.

Apparently New Serena's spirit has even infected those she no longer speaks to: Dan, at the urging of his drunk writer mentor (nice touch, show) decides he should get some life experience (because the judgemental jerk really needs it). To get it, he decides to shadow Chuck Bass (who's hair lately makes me think he belongs on Swingtown). Chuck decides to try to have little fun with Humphrey by drugging him and stealing his shoes (awesome). Apparently, though, Chuck has a softer side, which I was not happy to see. I mean I get the whole Daddy doesn't love me thing, we don't need to see it. Seriously, show, telling us that his mother died in childbirth gives him one too many layers and makes it hard to continue rooting for him to be evil and devious. I don't want to pity him, but now I might. Hopefully we can move past this.

Other things I liked:
  • Poppy Lifton, Serena's new friend, because the actress who played her also played socialite Natalie Kimpton (somebody's getting typecast) on Dirty Sexy Money. Kudos to reader Hilary for pointing this out to me.
  • Lily getting ANGRY when she finds out Bart had her investigated. I want to know what was in that file he had. I'm betting it's a marriage certificate to Rufus. Or adoption papers for a baby she gave up. A baby she had with Rufus. Ooooh that would be good.
  • Lily having posed for some risque pictures in her youth. I like her so much. (Especially because she's Serena's mother, obviously)
  • The place where they had the fashion show, because that's the club I went to last New Year's. I now feel even more connected to the show than I did before. Like I needed that.
  • Tinsley Mortimer making another appearance, because I love that they are grounding this show as much reality as possible.
  • The complete lack Vanessa and Nate in this episode. Those two make me want t.....ZZZZZZZZZZZ.
  • Dan's character's name: Charlie Trout. Haha.
Other things I did not like:
  • The absence of Duchess COUGAR. Yes, I know why she's gone, but I don't care. I miss you Duchess!
And that's it, because tonight was another stellar episode. Quote time:

"Watching you fail spectacularly gives me so much joy."--Chuck to Blair

"Kirsten Dunst. So 2007. Her rehab stint barely made the radar."--Laurel

"Don't ever go to high school, Dorota, the girls are spoiled, stupid, and ungrateful."--Princess B (she's queen no longer)

"Shut up, Humphrey."--Chuck to Dan. (thank you for saying what everyone else was thinking)

"Blair, what could we have done to deserve a visit from you."--Rufus. Something bad, Rufus, something bad.

"From now I'm going to be who I am."--S to B. I think we've already established how I feel about this.


So, while the episode came down a bit from the AWESOMENESS of last week, it was still pretty frakking good. Too bad we have to wait two weeks for another new episode. But then again, absence makes the heart grow fonder, especially when that absence involves a cat fight between the two most amazing teen characters ever. I'm already rapt with anticipation. Are you?

(Also, if you're interested in reading an amazingly in depth recap of last week's episode, click here.)