Thursday, January 8, 2009

I Cannot Abide This Idiocy Any Longer

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way—in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."--Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities

Why did I start with Dickens, you ask? Because I think it's the only apt comparison for what I just experienced. I watched two different shows tonight. One was about these four doctors who have semi-interesting personal lives and personalities who were forced to treat a serial killer and deal with what that meant for each of them and how it affected their relationships. It was fairly interesting and fairly serious and pretty compelling TV I thought. That show's B-plot, while a little too light hearted, dealt with two of their colleagues who were resisting the urge to sleep with younger colleagues because they know it's inappropriate. These two doctors make a great on-screen pair and I'm really liking the way in which their friendship is developing. Also pretty compelling stuff, albeit in a much different way. All in all, the first show was very good.

The second show, on the other hand, was complete and utter drivel. The second show was about a BAT SHIT CRAZY (emphasis on the "BAT," "SHIT," and "CRAZY"), narcissistic, self-centered, bimbo blonde surgeon, and the love triangle she's "trapped" in with her dead fiancee and her new boyfriend, who's had his own shit to deal with in the past and for some ungoldy reason still seems to love her. I know you're asking, "How can her fiancee be dead and yet still be with her?" My answer? I HAVE NO FUCKING CLUE, beyond the fact that the show's creator insists on "being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only," with the superlative degree of comparison being WORST WRITER PRODUCER TO EVER WALK THE FACE OF THE PLANET EVER. Now I know you're asking why I watched both of these shows, and I'll tell you: because they are THE SAME. FUCKING. SHOW. GREY'S FUCKING ANATOMY.

I predicted yesterday or the day before that we were going to see a return to form tonight on Grey's, and by large, I think that held up. I think the Cristina-Meredith-Shepard-Doctor Major Hunt plot nicely balanced personal drama with medical drama and really got back to why we loved the show in the first place: the relationships with the doctors (who by the way are supposed to be the best in their field mind you) and the way in which that affects their patients. I liked that the serial killer was able to reshuffle the cards among these four so that Mer and Hunt wound up on one side and Derek and Cristina wound up on the other. I liked that Mer and Cristina are still fighting and that neither is willing to give in. I liked that Hunt and Shepard tried to use it to bond. I liked that Mer made that uber-bitchy comment about some surgeons being naturals and others needing to practice during surgery because she knew it would hit Cristina where it hurt---her ego. I even liked the little interaction between Mer and Sadie where Sadie warned her that she needed to stop freezing Cristina out or else she would regret it and how Sadie was able to offer up a little bit more character insight into Meredith and show that she still has a whole host of other issues even if she's trying to make it work with Derek. (Seriously, that one little interaction has redeemed the character in my eyes, and I'm a little peeved with Shonda Rhimes because I think this is exactly the type of stuff the character was introduced for, yet we didn't get it until 6 episodes in. Ridiculous.) I even liked how Derek and Meredith made up at the end and he tried to be her Cristina, because I whole heartedly believe that this show works best when it allows its characters to grow and change.

Along those lines, I'm really enjoying the whole Sloan-Lexie thing (which I've decided to call Slexie, instead of Groan because I like it) because I like that it's making Sloan be a person. Sure it came out of left field, but unlike so many of the other couplings on this show, this one is a teensy bit believable, and a little reality goes a long way. I'm still not totally buying the whole "whoops Callie is still a lesbian but she'll try to sleep with Sloan when convenient" thing, but I do like that it's moved her and Sloan firmly into the friend zone, since I think they made a great pair and provided some necessary yet enjoyable comic relief. But if the show is going to insist on pairing Callie with Sadie, at least let them actually flirt, please. Don't just throw them into bed two episodes from now, because as much as I like gratuitous sex, I do like it to be believable.

I also enjoyed the Bailey plotline, because I think anything that gives Chandra Wilson screentime is a good thing. I will say, though, that I'm really started to get irritated by the parade of guest actor-doctors we seem to have been having of late. They show up, we're expected to invest in them, and then they disappear. It's irritating. The cast is already bloated to the extremes. Stop bringing in temporary new faces. Thank you.

Ok, so I waited this long to talk about this because I wanted to make sure I said everything else I needed to say about tonight's episode (I've decided to ignore the Chief subplot, because, well he ignored his doctors tonight. Fair is fair). I think we all know what's coming so I might as well jsut get started. IT'S BEEN FOUR MOTHERFUCKING EPISODES AND THAT DEAD FUCK DENNY DUQUETTE IS STILL FUCKING WALKING AROUND WITH IZZIE AND THE TWO OF THEM ARE FUCKING TALKING AND FUCKING GIGGLING LIKE A PAIR OF COCKSUCKER MOTHERFUCKERS. IS SHE CRAZY? DOES SHE HAVE A BRAIN TUMOR? WHO THE FUCK CARES AT THIS POINT?!!!!! THIS IS THE MOST LUDICROUS UNBELIEVABLE SHIT I'VE EVER SEEN. THIS MADNESS, THIS IDIOCY, THIS MORONICLY STUPID PLOTLINE DOES NOT FIT IN WITH THE WORLD OF THE SHOW. GREY'S IS A DRAMEDY, PERHAPS, BUT YOU CAN'T HAVE THIS WEIRD SCI-FIESQUE SHIT GO ON FOR FOUR FUCKING EPISODES WITH NO EXPLANATION BESIDES, AND I QUOTE "I'VE BEEN SEEING DENNY EVERYWHERE." YES, YOU HAVE BEEN SEEING DENNY EVERYONE YOU STUPID BITCH. DON'T YOU THINK YOU SHOULD SEE A DOCTOR BECAUSE IT'S NOT FUCKING NORMAL, YOU FUCKING BIMBO?!!!!!!! YOU'RE A FUCKING DOCTOR FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!!! AND LET'S NOT FORGET THAT JUST AT THE END OF LAST FUCKING SEASON, YOU MADE A HUGE FUCKING STINK ABOUT CRAZY JANE DOE AND TRIED TO GET ALEX TO GET HER HELP AND STUCK YOU'RE FUCKING CRAZY ASS DUMB BITCH NOSE INTO ALL HIS BUSINESS. THE POOR GUY LOVES YOU AND YOU FUCKING TELL HIM THAT YOU NOT ONLY SEE YOU'RE DEAD DOUCHEBAG OF A FIANCEE (and yes, I realize that I'm calling Denny a douchebag, but I swear that Jeffrey Dean Morgan is playing the guy like a different character at this point because he's even gotta be like "What the FUCK is this shit?"). I HATE YOU IZZIE STEVENS, I HATE YOU WITH EVERY PART OF MY SOUL. I'VE HATED YOU SINCE YOU BROKE UP GEORGE'S MARRIAGE AND I HATE YOU EVEN MORE NOW. CAN YOU PLEASE JUST DIE? OR REALIZE THAT YOU NEED TO BE COMMITTED TO AN INSTITUTION AND GET TAKEN AWAY FROM THE HOSPITAL AND THUS OFF THE FUCKING SHOW?!!!!!!! PLEASE? BECAUSE I CANNOT ABIDE YOUR STUPIDITY ANY FUCKING LONGER. ALEX BAKED YOU A CAKE FOR YOUR BIRTHDAY AND ALL YOU THINK IS HOW LUCKY YOU ARE TO HAVE YOU'RE DEAD FUCKING FIANCEE AND YOUR NEW BOYFRIEND AT THE SAME TIME. DO YOU EVEN REALIZE HOW MUCH YOU'RE VALIDATING THE EXISTENCE OF THE HOT-CRAZY SCALE RIGHT NOW? DO YOU?!!!! AND REALLY YOUR CRAZY HAS GONE SO FAR OFF THE CHARTS THAT IN A WEEK OR TWO YOUR GOING TO START LOOKING LIKE A HAG, AND NOT IN A GOOD WAY. YOU MAKE FUCKING BRITNEY WITH THE UMBRELLA HITTING THE CAR LOOK LIKE THE PICTURE OF MENTAL FUCKING HEALTH. I HATE YOU. I HATE YOU. I HATE YOU. I HATE YOU, IZZIE STEVENS, I. HATE. YOU. (Katherine Heigl, on the other hand, I feel so bad for you and I hope you are able to escape the clutches of that awful Shonda Rhimes and I totally agree with you speaking out against her about the Emmys, you were totally right. I will absolutely be coming to see your new movie, because I want you to know I support you and I know you will get through this muck of shit and be able to look back on it and laugh sometime in the future. Be strong.)

There are no quotes tonight because I fucking hate (half of) this show. Here's praying that Izzie's head explodes next week.