Wednesday, January 14, 2009

"I Think Anyone is Capable of Anything"

I'm going to preface this post with the fact that I went to happy hour and had a very happy two hours. Therefore there are no quotes this time around (save for the title of this post, which came from Patty), as it was hard enough for me to just follow what was going on. As this was the second episode of the season, we've now been introduced to all the major players (I think) for the episodes going forward, so this episode laid a good amount of groundwork for what will come next. As such, I have A LOT of questions, which I will also attempt to provide answers to:
  1. What is the relationship between Patty and Purcell? I'm very interested into why she's feels like she must help him. He did say that she owed him. But why? At first I thought he was the father of Patty's dead daughter Julia, but after seeing Patty's reaction to her son showing up at the office and crossing paths with Purcell, I'm tempted to say that Purcell's is actually Michael's father. After all, we knew last season that Patty's husband Phil was only stepfather to Michael, even though Michael considers him to be his real father, which makes me think that Michael has never known his biological father. So if I'm right and Purcell is Michael's biological father, then why doesn't Michael know, and why has Patty kept him away?
  2. What is Timothy Olyphant's deal? (And on a different note what is his character's name? I still haven't caught it.) He is obviously obsessed with Frobie, given his closet full of guns and articles about Frobie. This also implies to me that Timothy Olyphant HAS ALWAYS known who Ellen was and what her relationship was to Frobie. I find it hard to believe that their connection is coincidence, that he just happened to be in the same grief group as her. Like Patty said, "Someone's always looking to play an angle." If this dude is using Ellen to somehow get at Frobie, I think he's in for a rude awakening. Which leads me to my next point.
  3. Who's in the chair? I'm going to stick with my guess of Timothy Olyphant, and here's why: in the future plot, Ellen gets Tom to get a gun for her. Why? Because she needs to kill someone, which we do see. We also see Ellen sleeping with Timothy Olyphant, engaging in what seems like a casual relationship ("Don't be here when I get back.") I'm sorry, but I don't think Ellen Parsons, vengeful, focused Ellen Parsons, would be sleeping with someone so soon after David's death. Unless of course it gets her one step closer to her goal of destroying Patty. Why would Timothy Olyphant do that? Because he's been in Patty's pay all along, getting her information about Frobisher because he hates him for some reason (not sure why) and after the case ended, he someone remained in Patty's service and is now the mechanism Patty is using to keep tabs on Ellen. I think this explains why he showed up in the middle of the night to talk to Ellen. Also, I think Ellen will soon figure this out and use her sex to lull him into a false sense of security, before interogating him for information about Patty before ultimately killing him. I kind of hope I'm wrong, because I'd hate to have figured everything out so early.
  4. What's the relationship between Patty and Claire Maddox (played by the incomparable Marcia Gay Harden)? So we know Patty and Purcell have a history, and--based on that last scene--Maddox and Purcell have a history. Therefore, it's not implausable that Patty and Maddox have some kind of history. It's too early to say what it is, but I do think it exists.
  5. What does the FBI do now? Patty doesn't want the infant mortality case, and was able to stop Tom from doing anything stupid that would have allowed the FBI to get to him (only because Patty has the office bugged, which "duh" of course she does, she's Patty). Do they try to go in through the Ultima case. Or is this merely a sideline challenge for Ellen which will somehow tech her what she needs to know to take down Patty during Season 3 (which FX is already on board for, so you know the producers are thinking about it). I don't have a good answer to it yet, but I suspect one will come soon.
  6. What was Purcell burning? Given the color and texture of the shots in that last sequence, I'm assuming it's the future, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong. This is another one that will go unanswered, but that I'm sure we'll find the answer to soon.
So I'm going to stop there. Does anyone else have questions I failed to address, or answers to the ones I couldn't? I'm all ears. Also, I came across this link which will let you download the show's theme song, "When I'm Through With You" by The VLA. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.