Thursday, January 15, 2009

Um, Do We Really Need a Gossip Girl Spinoff?

We all know I love me some GG. There are few others shows on TV that make me so unabashedly happy (LOST and Friday Night Lights fall in this category as well), so the fact that I think a spin-off is not the greatest idea in the world shocks even me.

The spin-off is supposedly going to be Lily's coming of age story out in California, and possibly potentially how she fell in love with Rufus, to which I say: LILY IS FROM CALIFORNIA? I'm sorry, I thought Grandma CeCe was East Coast old money, what with her house in the Hamptons and her penchant for gin. Additionally, are we really going to have another story about a California teenager trying to straddle two different world? Didn't that not work out so well for you, Josh Schwartz, the last time you tried it? Now I know that while this one is supposed to be set in the '80s, I smell a derivative premise. I'd much rather Schwartz and his partner Stephanie Savage stick with making GG all it can be, rather than diverting their efforts to a show no one asked for or really would like to see. Because when GG is good, we get things like this: