Sunday, January 18, 2009

I Thought I Warned You, Shonda Rhimes, I Thought I Warned You

So first off, let me say that I thoroughly enjoyed (with a few exceptions that I will get to later) this episode. I'm very pleased with the developments in the Mer/Der, Cristina/Dr. Major Hunt, and Slexie relationships, as well as the screen time and plot devoted to Dr. Bailey. There is one thing I did not enjoy, but since there was far less of it this week than last, I will consider that a small victory. So diving in:

Let's start with the Mer/Der plot, since I found this one by far the most enjoyable. Derek's mommy was coming to Seattle, and of course Mer was freaking out, since as she said a very long time ago, "We don't do well with mothers here." (Really not a surprise what with the tequila, and the sleeping with inappropriate men/women, and the self-destructive tendencies. It's amazing that no one has tried to create a reality show about the interns and residents of Seattle Grace.) Apparently Mer's trying to get ready to meet the Mommy involves her sitting in a chair, drinking (of course), and letting She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named (I'm abandoning the other name I've given her until certain elements of her storyline are resolved) do the cleaning and the prepping, because mother's love people like She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, to which I say, yeah sure they do, because they put on that one, seemingly normal, happy, beautiful face to the public and then have another, super psycho, "It puts the lotion on because it's told to" face just for you which no one will ever believe is true and thus keeps you trapped forever and ever in your own personal hell until you become more crazy than she is.

I'm digressing. Back to Derek's Mommy, played by Tyne Daly, who is really pretty awesome. I loved the way she was able to get to everyone in the way that only a mother can. Also, totally loved her interactions with Sloan and Lexie. Mark really is like another one of her kids (which is the only explanation for why she still speaks to him after breaking up her son's marriage), and the way she grilled Lexie is totally something a mother would do. Also, Mom if by some chance you've found this blog and are reading it, please don't ask whatever girl I bring home to meet you how many sexual partners she's had, ok? Thanks. Anyway, Mer thinks the best way to impress Derek's Mommy is to act like the opposite of herself, which means smiling and wearing a ponytail. But given all of the drama surrounding Serial Killer, Mer decides to come clean and tell Derek's Mommy how crazy she is. Which apparently Mommy totally approves of, as evidenced by her giving Derek the family ring to give to Meredith, because Derek needs her since he "sees things in black and white, and Meredith doesn't." Thank god, Mommy didn't say shades of Grey, because that really, really would have been too much and I was totally waiting for it. I will say though that this sudden appearance of a ring during a plotline where Mer and Der are disagreeing a bit scares me, since their history would suggest that they will break up again soon because of it. I hope I'm wrong, but keep your eyes open for suspiciousness surrounding this ring, ok?

Moving on to Dr. Major Hunt and Yang, I'm really liking where this is going. Hunt is a big old mess (he hasn't been on a date since before he went to Iraq) and Cristina needs someone who will not expect her to be perfect, like Burke did. I also think having Hunt around will accelerate her detente with Meredith, since Cristina spoke to her for the first time since last week's "You're not a natural surgeon, BITCH" comment. I thought that scene at the end in the shower was touching, but I can't help but wonder how much longer Cristina will go on with this without sex. I'm just saying, we know how she can get.

As for Slexie, I have a couple of questions (most to do with Lexie). (1) When did she move into Meredith's attic? Did I miss that? (2) Are she and Meredith on speaking terms now? Lex was standing with Mer when She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named was giving her advice. Can someone please tell me if I missed something? (3) If Mark doesn't want anyone to find out that they're sleeping together, why would he go to the house where EVERYONE ELSE HE KNOWS lives? Actually, scratch that, we all know why he went there. I'm looking forward to when this relationship comes out into the open, since I think Derek's Mommy was right and that she's a good match for him.

Now as for Bailey and the medical plots, I'm gonna say I'm a little worried about her. She seems to be losing it because of this patient, which also seems a little weird, because don't we all remember the speeches she gave She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named over and over and over and over and over and over again about not getting emotionally involved with patients? This seems a little bit like a case of the scalpel calling the clamps a surgical instrument, don't you think? I'm willing to put those feelings aside, though, because perhaps this will be the plot that finally, finally will get her the Emmy she deserves. Also, I'm really interested to see how the Serial Killer wanting to give up his organs for the kid plays out, since the the previews for next week make it look like not well.

Ok, so it's time for my weekly rant. Here we go:
HE'S STILL FUCKING HERE. AND MAKING JOKES ABOUT WHY IT'S GOOD TO DATE A DEAD GUY. THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR TWO FUCKING MONTHS NOW, AND SHE STILL HASN'T SEEN A SHRINK. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU, YOU ARE A DOCTOR AND YOU SHOULD THAT YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY FUCKING INSANE. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE YOU. ALEX WANTS TO TAKE YOU TO MEET HIS MOTHER. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. ALSO, DENNY, FUCKING DEAD AS A DOORNAIL DOUCHEBAG DENNY, SHE FUCKING BROKE UP WITH YOU, PLEASE FUCKING DISAPPEAR. BUT YOU WON'T, BECAUSE YOU'RE SOME FUCKING CREEPY DEAD STALKER. THIS IS NOT A HORROR MOVIE THIS IS GREY'S ANATOMY. ADDITIONALLY, STEVE FUCKING MCPHERSON, PRESIDENT OF ABC, HOW DARE YOU DEFEND THIS IDIOCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE A MORON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE YOU TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would go on, but since relatively little screen time was given over to this crap this week, I think it's best not to rile myself up too much.

Two last points, before I go: more Callie and Mark time please. I would definitely watch a spin-off that featured these two, because I think their friendship is good and relatable. Second, did we really need to introduce a new doctor for this transplant storyline? It seems like there are plenty of other docs capable of performing transplants in the hospital that we have already seen. New doc is going to disappear at the end of this storyline anyway, so what was the point? Think about that while you read these quotes:



"You're wearing an alarmingly high ponytail." "You're mother is coming." --Mer and Der. Because those are on the same scale.

"Am I hallucinating, or is that a really high ponytail?"--Serial killer to Mer. It's bad when the SK notices it too.

"That ponytail.....looks ridiculous."--Cristina to Mer. Since Mer takes it out after this, we now know that Cristina's opinion is the only one that will ever matter to her ever.

"You, you're squirrelly. I don't trust you. I don't trust in this hospital and I certainly don't trust you with my patient of three years who's extremely important. If you want to stay on this case, you will stay out of my way, you will do what I tell you, nad if you have something to say to or about my patient you will raise your hand and wait to be called on."--Bailey to Sadie. Thank you for saying what we all think.

"Dr. Yang would you mind checking in some of my post ops, ERs, and traumas? Also would you like to go on a date with me?"--Dr. Major Hunt. Very efficient, I say.

"You sleep with me, you lunch with me. New rule."--Lexie to Sloan. Of course she gets to make the rules.

"Are you a good girl? I don't mean perfect, I mean relatively speaking."--Derek's mommy to Lexie.

"She's 24." "You have the emotional maturity of a horny 15 year old. You need young."--Sloan and Derek's mommy. Truer words were never spoken.