Wednesday, January 21, 2009

So, I Have No Idea What Just Happened, And Quite Frankly I Don't Care. THAT WAS AWESOME!

Ladies and Gentlemen, Ladies and Gentlemen, LOST! IS! BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What does that mean? I have no fucking clue. What is here really? Or there? Or now? Is now actually happening now? Or has it already happened and we're just experiencing it again? Do you have no idea what I'm talking about? Don't worry, neither do I. For my LOST posts, I'm going not even going to try to recount the things that pass in the episode because it would just be way too hard. Instead, I will ask and then try to answer a few key questions each week. Let's begin.

  1. We are now firmly in the land of time-travel, so what the fuck does that mean? Ok, so let me first try to summarize what Faraday said. Time cannot be changed: people can move back and forth through time, but things will always play out the way they are supposed to. This sort of flies in the face of a lot of the comic book sci-fi stuff which has a lot of alternate universes, etc., but it does stay pretty true to the show (see the Charlie dies plotline for more information), so I'm ok with that. One thing that really confuses me though: if the island is jumping around in time, how can Locke be dead? Because conjecture would hold that there will be points in time where dead Locke coexsits with live Locke on the island. Also, how do we measure time for the individuals who are still there? It's not really linear since they will keep jumping from time period to time period, but it probably seems linear to them, since their memories will stay intact. Does that mean we're operating on two different timelines, one for the world of the show and one for the characters of the show? I think yes, which also adds so many layers of complexity I can't see straight.
  2. Ok so if there's time travel, why are only some characters affected and not others? Again, I have no idea. The Others don't seem to have been affected, but the 815ers and the Freighter Folk do. But where did the Others go? And why aren't they affected? We'll have to revisit this one.
  3. Who else liked all the references to past events in the show's history? I'm talking specifically about the drug filled plane (a Season 1-2 plot point), the Expose TV show (remember Nikki and Paulo from Season 3?), the Hatch intact and crazy Desmond, and probably a bunch of other stuff I can't remember right now. It was a nice touch. Oh, and also so happy to see Dr. Marvin Candle again, that crazy old coot.
  4. Why do they have to go back? Obvious question, no good answer.
  5. What happened between Ben and Sayid? Sayid was working for him, but not anymore. Why?
  6. Is Mrs. Hawking, the old lady with white hair, Faraday's mother? I say yes.
  7. Who hired those lawyers to find out about Aaron's paternity (or in this case maternity I guess)? I see one of two possibilities: Sun to try to get Kate to join her on her quest to destroy Ben, or Widmore to try to get Kate to reveal the location of the island.
  8. Does the time warp have anything to do with the sky going purple (end of Season 2)? I'm going to guess yes, although I have no clue why.
So those are all of the questions I have off the top of my head. Does anyone else out there have any that I might be able to answer for you?